Sunday, May 11, 2014

Oprah is Quick to Denigrate, but Fast to Commercialize India!

Oprah Chai Tea @ Starbucks This Mother's Day!

I was still trying to wake myself, and vaguely awake when I heard this commercial today in Opra's own voice urging everyone to drink Chai tea to rebuild America! It may have been playing for some time on TV and other media, may be. I don't know. I am not an avid TV watcher so I only heard it for the first time today, and of course it completely took me by surprise. I did not expect Oprah to attach her name to anything Indian after that denigrating TV episode she did on India for OWN a couple of years ago. She was not even impressed by the dinner hosted by the Bacchans! What surprised me most is her introduction of Indian tea (in America it is Chai tea, after India's word for tea, Chai) as a must have beverage for America, after she denounced everything Indian so badly! Apparently that could not come in the way of commercial interests.

Here is what I thought about her episode at that time:
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7513177102900805991#editor/target=post;postID=4892123716207523141;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=19;src=postname

I don't know what the old-time  Chaiwala, Modi thinks about this! A new more business savvy tea seller on the block!

No comments:

Post a Comment